Businesses contribute to the vitality and strength of our Village and Glen Ellyn aims to be a welcoming place for businesses. We welcome the opportunity to discuss business and development opportunities within the Village and the incentives that may enable desirable economic development.
The referenced incentives are not inclusive and use of any incentive is at the sole discretion of the Village Board. All requests for incentives will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and upon the merits of each situation. Meeting policy guidelines does not guarantee assistance and the approval or denial of one project shall not set a precedent for approval or denial of other projects. It is the Village's intention to provide the minimum amount of assistance necessary to make the project viable while carefully considering the long-term financial and community impacts.
- View Economic Incentive Guidelines HERE.
The Glen Ellyn Economic Development Department coordinates the business awards and incentives offered by the Village. The Village of Glen Ellyn manages three business award programs:
- Downtown Retail Interior Improvement Award Program for new and expanding downtown retailers & restaurants.
- Commercial Façade Improvement Award Program which assists property owners and tenants Village-wide with their exterior appearance projects.
- Fire Prevention Award Program which assists businesses and property owners with meeting life safety code improvements.
- Downtown Beautification Award Program assists businesses within the Central Business District TIF to supplement exterior improvements not covered by the Façade Improvement Award Program.
Downtown Retail Interior Improvement Award
The Downtown Retail Interior Improvement Award Program in February 2009 as an incentive tool for recruiting targeted retailers and retaining growth retailers in the downtown commercial districts. The program offers financial assistance for permanent interior improvements in the form of an award up to $30,000. Interior improvement assistance provides the following benefits:
- Improves our competitive edge with other communities for recruitment success
- Awards businesses for their investment into commercial buildings
- Serves as a direct means to partner with new and expanding retailers and property owners
- Leverages private investment for higher quality interior improvements
Commercial Facade Improvement Award
Exterior renovations improve the attractiveness of our commercial areas to customers and visitors, directly affecting the value and viability of our business community. The Village has supported the business community's investments into their properties and building via the Façade Program since 1997. The program provides financial assistance for permanent exterior improvements up to $30,000.
Façade assistance provides the following benefits:
- Awards businesses for their investments into the commercial building inventory for appearance improvements
- Serves as a direct means to partner with business and property owners
- Leverages private investment for higher quality exterior improvements
- Positively impacts appeal to customers increasing business traffic and sales
Fire Prevention Award
The goal of the Village of Glen Ellyn Fire Prevention Award Program is to assist businesses and property owners with meeting life safety code improvements and assisting in preserving the unique building stock within the downtown. The program supports the installation of fire alarm and sprinkler systems in buildings located in the C5A, C5B and Roosevelt Road Tax Increment Finance business districts.
Fire Prevention Assistance Program Provides the following benefits:
- Awards businesses and property owners who invest in life safety improvements in their building/business
- Leverages private investment in downtown properties
- Supports the Village’s commitment to preserving the unique building stock in Glen Ellyn
Download the Fire Prevention Award Program Application Packet (PDF).
Downtown Beautification Award
The Downtown Beautification Award Program supplements downtown businesses with expenses associated with exterior improvements not covered by other existing award programs. Purchases made between September 1, 2022 and December 31, 2027 may be eligible. The Downtown Beautification Award may assist with costs associated with:
- New or replacement awnings, including structure, fabric, and/or design;
- Concrete planters that meet Village’s design codes and guidelines;
- Projecting signs;
- Decking materials, barricades and/or lighting for outdoor dining platforms;
- Material costs for murals.
Download the Downtown Beautification Award Application Packet (PDF).