Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Village Continues Operations While Facilities Are Closed to the Public
The Civic Center, the Public Works facility and both Fire Stations remain closed to the public, but operational. It’s important to note that access to the Police Department continues. Village staff continues to be available via email and phone to answer questions and process transactions, as we continue to provide essential services. As this situation continues to evolve and change, several Village departments are adjusting their services and operations.
For a full listing of ways to continue conducting business with the Village, please visit HERE.
Monday, March 30, 2020 Update:
Village and Park District Joint Statement on Maintaining Social Distancing
As concerns about coronavirus continue to grip our nation, our highest priority is the health and well-being of our residents, employees, and first responders. We are all in this together, and the Village of Glen Ellyn and Glen Ellyn Park District, along with other public agencies, will continue to collaborate in order to provide responsible and valued services during this unprecedented time. In doing so, we implore our community to adhere to the Governor’s stay-at-home order and follow guidelines from the CDC, including social distancing.
To read the full joint statement from the Village and the Park District, visit here.
- Wednesday, March 25 Update: Letter from the Village President, continue to support local businesses.
- Tuesday, March 24 Update: Flushable wipes could lead to sewer problems.
- Monday, March 23 Update: Village Department service and operational updates.
- Sunday, March 22 Update: Village Board Meeting notice, refuse update, call for volunteers and blood donors.
- Saturday, March 21 Update: Stay at home order FAQs, refuse update, business information
- Friday, March 20 Update: Governor issues stay at home order.
- Thursday, March 19 Update: Village operations continue, overnight parking restrictions not enforced, Glen Ellyn Dine at Home, Metra alternate schedule.
- Wednesday, March 18 Update: Letter from Village President, Village Board declares State of Emergency.
- Tuesday, March 17 Update: Ways to do business with the Village, Glen Ellyn Dine at Home, parking meters covered, Village Board Meeting notice.
- Monday, March 16 Update: Village facility closures, Village Board Meeting notice, restaurant .limited to take-out or drive-through, social distancing reminders, stay connected to the Village.
- Friday, March 13 Update: Civic Center & Police Community room reservations suspended, cancellations of upcoming Advisory Board & Commission meetings, Senior Center updates.
Stay At Home Order
The Governor’s stay at home order went into effect on March 21 and will run through Tuesday, April 7 in an effort to help slow the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Village of Glen Ellyn is very appreciative of the overall compliance witnessed throughout the stay at home order. We understand the inconvenience this causes, but respectfully request that we continue to abide by this order to keep us all safe.
The stay at home order limits activity and business functions to only the most essential needs.
The order does not prohibit people from completing essential tasks, like grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, getting gas or visiting a medical care provider. Essential businesses are allowed to remain open, including auto repair businesses, banks, laundromats and even restaurants that are providing food for delivery or carry-out.
Residents also may exercise outdoors and walk their pets, but they should practice social distancing and limit exposure to others.
More Information on the stay at home order:
- For further details and information on the stay at home order issued by the State, please view a link to Frequently Asked Questions.
- To view the State of Illinois Executive Order 10, please click here.
- Do you have a question whether a business is considered essential? You can call the Essential Business Determination Hotline at (800)252-2923 or email at CEO.firstname.lastname@example.org
Letter to Residents
Village President Diane McGinley offers letters to residents with an update on the Village’s response efforts to COVID-19:
Assistance for Senior Citizens
Our senior citizen population is at a higher risk for severe illness because of COVID-19. The Glen Ellyn Senior Center is providing information on services available to our seniors to help ensure their health and safety during this time.
Access a local resource guide for seniors by clicking HERE. The guide includes information on a grocery stores that have dedicated shopping hours just for senior citizens, information on which pharmacies and grocery stores offer delivery services and other social service resources.
If you or a senior you know feel as though further assistance is needed, please contact the Glen Ellyn Senior Center at 630-858-6343 or email the Senior Center.
Call for Volunteers
Volunteers are needed across the state. Nonprofit organizations are looking for extra help as many of their regular volunteers are unable to assist or are choosing to stay home. In particular, organizations with a mission focused on housing/homelessness, food security/hunger/meal delivery and seniors are experiencing a large decrease in their regular volunteer base. If you are an able-bodied volunteer and are willing to volunteer, please explore the following:
- Visit DuPage County’s Volunteer Portal, Giving DuPage, that links volunteers with non-profit organizations countywide. Learn more at https://givingdupage.org/
- Consider registering on the Serve Illinois website and the organization will connect you with opportunities based on their needs. Learn more at www.serve.illinois.gov
Continue to Support Local Businesses
Glen Ellyn Dine at Home
The Village is adhering to State restrictions prohibiting indoor dining at local restaurants. This is a crucial time for our small business owners, especially restaurants.
Consider participating in the Glen Ellyn Dine at Home program with options of curbside pick-up and delivery. For a list of local restaurants, please visit the Chamber of Commerce website.
Glen Ellyn Keep Shopping Local with Shipping
The many local Glen Ellyn businesses need our help now more than ever. Consider participating in Glen Ellyn Keep Shopping Local with Shipping, and show your support by:
- Shopping on-line
- Call in to purchase from items shown on social media
- Purchasing a gift card to use later
- Buy items now for future use
Visit the Chamber of Commerce website for a list of local retailers, and details on updated ordering and shipping options. Please note specific details may change on a daily basis, so continue to check back for up-to-date information.
Stay Connected with the Village
Website: We will continue to share daily updates and information on our website.
Additional information may be sent through the Village’s e-newsletter mailing list. If you are not already signed up, please take a moment to sign up here.
Residents can sign-up for the Village’s emergency alerting system that could be used should circumstances warrant. To sign up to receive alerts via email or text, visit here.
For those without internet access, updates can be heard on the Village’s information radio station, AM 1620 KHz.
Hotline and Email
If you have questions about Coronavirus:
The Illinois Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Hotline 1(800) 889-3931
Anytime, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Where Can I Get More Information?
For accurate information and the latest updates, please visit the following links:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) website.
Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH): Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) website.
DuPage County Health Department (DCHD): Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information.
Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH): Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)