- Police Department
- About Us
- Become a Glen Ellyn Police Officer
- Lateral Officer Application and Process Information
Lateral Officer Application and Process Information
The Glen Ellyn Police Department recognizes the value in employing experienced professionals who can enhance the capabilities of the Department while providing new career opportunities. The Glen Ellyn Police Department is continually accepting lateral officer applications and there is no deadline for submission. The process of hiring police officers for the Village of Glen Ellyn is the responsibility of the Glen Ellyn Fire and Police Commission.
- U.S. citizenship
- No felony convictions
- Valid driver's license
- High school diploma or GED
- Applicants must be currently certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB), or hold an equivalent certification from another state, at time of application.
- Applicants must be actively employed as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer for a minimum of 24 months of service, or recently separated from service with a minimum of 24 months of service.
- Applicants who are currently separated from service must have a current valid certification issued by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or current valid equivalent certification from another state. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Required Application and Documentation
The below application and supporting documentation are required to process your application to be considered for a lateral police officer position.
- Complete the Village of Glen Ellyn Application for Employment
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of valid driver's license
- Copy of High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Copy of Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board Law Enforcement Officer Certificate, or equivalent certification from another state.
- SUBMIT APPLICATION AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION TO: Cmdr. Andrew Downey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submitted application and supporting documents are reviewed for eligibility.
- Eligible applicants will be contacted by the Department to schedule a written exam. The Department utilizes the Situational-Based Styles Assessment for Law Enforcement (SBSA-LEO) offered by Industrial/Organizational Solutions (IOS). More information regarding this test can be found on the IOS website.
- Lateral candidates will be added to the lateral officer list and ranked by score as governed by the Glen Ellyn Board of Fire and Police Commission. Final scored ranking will be determined by the written exam and any applicable preference points applied.
- An employment offer will be contingent upon the candidate successfully passing a thorough background investigation, an oral interview before the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners, polygraph examination and psychological and medical examination.
- All hired lateral officers must complete a comprehensive field training program. Lateral officers receive the full 18-week field training program as needed to ensure they have all of the tools, resources and skills necessary to become a successful Glen Ellyn Police Officer. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Salary and Benefits
Lateral officers are compensated at the pay step equal to their completed years of full-time law enforcement officer experience.
- Current salary ranges from $76,326.59 - $108,929.53
- Educational pay incentive of $2,000.00 - $3,500.00 for those with 90 or more college credit hours. Applied based upon years of service and over hourly rate.
- ALL uniforms and equipment provided by the Department through a quartermaster system.
- Excellent health, dental and life insurance.
- For a comprehensive list of benefits see the Lateral Officer Flyer.
- The Village of Glen Ellyn does not have any residency requirement for police officers.
- Beards are permitted in accordance with Department policy.
- Tattoos are permitted in accordance with Department policy. Tattoos on the following areas are prohibited from view while on duty and must be covered at all times: neck, head, face, ears and legs. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The Glen Ellyn Police Department wants to hear from you! We encourage prospective lateral applicants to reach out for additional information or questions. Want to setup a ride along? Get a one-on-one tour of the Department? Discuss your unique circumstances? Contact us today!
Contact: Commander Andrew Downey, (630) 547-5451, email@example.com