At the Glen Ellyn Village Board meeting on Tuesday, November 12, the Village Board voted to impose a moratorium ordinance on accepting or approving applications for recreational cannabis dispensaries in Glen Ellyn. By approving this ordinance, the Village Board is prohibiting recreational cannabis businesses in Glen Ellyn, until October 26, 2020. The Board will revisit this topic in the Fall of 2020.
This decision by the Board follows a Public Hearing held on October 10 by the Village's Plan Commission. The Commission approved a consensus statement suggesting the Village wait to see what the impact is on other communities to help increase the level of confidence in making the right decision for the community. They did, however, recommend specific text amendments for the zoning of recreational cannabis in the Village should the Village Board have decided to approve the sale of adult-use recreational cannabis. Proposed text amendments include:
- That cannabis dispensaries be allowed as a special use only in the C3 zoning district (which is along Roosevelt Road).
- That no consumption of cannabis on-site at dispensaries or smoking lounges be permitted.
- That dispensaries be located no closer than 1,000 feet from a school.
- That drive-through and window sales be prohibited.
- That parking requirements be the same as other retail uses (1 space per 250 gross sf).
- That the number of dispensaries be limited through the use of licenses, similar to liquor licenses.
- That no other type of cannabis related businesses be allowed to locate within the Village at this time.
Stay Informed on this Topic
The state of Illinois has approved adult-use recreational cannabis, beginning January 1, 2020. While municipalities cannot outlaw use or possession, they can ban or restrict sales within their borders before the law takes effect.
Website: For more information on this topic, including background information and frequently asked questions, please visit the Village website.
Submit Your Comments Online: Please submit your comments on this topic via this online form. Please note that individual responses will not be generated by the Village from this form.
Notify Me: Sign-up through the Village website's Notify Me Tool to receive updates (via email or text) on this topic.