The Village of Glen Ellyn has parking regulations for the Village as a whole, and regulations specific to the central business district. These regulations are meant to ensure the safety of individuals within the Village, as well as provide for an orderly and usable parking system. The Village of Glen Ellyn’s Police Department is responsible for monitoring parking within the Village. General parking regulations and central business district parking regulations are following.
Central Business District Parking Regulations
The focus of the Village of Glen Ellyn’s parking regulations in the Central Business District is twofold. First, to ensure that short-term parking intended for consumers of products and services provided by retail and professional businesses is not used by long-term parkers and second, that fees required by ordinance are paid and long-term leased/permit space customers are not disenfranchised. Downtown parking brochures with additional information are available above.
General Parking Regulations
The Village of Glen Ellyn prohibits parking in the following places, except when it is necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or when you are complying with the directions of a police officer or traffic control device.
- On a sidewalk
- In front of a public or private driveway
- Within an intersection
- On a crosswalk
- Within twenty feet of a crosswalk at an intersection
- Within thirty feet of any flashing beacon, stop sign, or traffic control signal located at the side of a roadway
- Within fifty feet of the nearest rail of a railway grade crossing
- Within twenty feet of the driveway entrance to a fire station and, on the opposite side of the street, within seventy five feet of said fire station entrance when properly signposted
- Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when such parking would obstruct traffic
- On the roadway side of any vehicle parked at the edge or curb of a street
- Upon a bridge on any street or within a street tunnel
- At any place where the standing of a vehicle will reduce the usable width of the roadway for moving traffic to less than twelve feet
- At any place where official signs prohibit stopping, standing or parking
- In any parking place specifically reserved for motor vehicles bearing a vehicle registration plate or parking placard identifying the owner as a handicapped person, when the vehicle does not bear a handicapped person vehicle registration or parking placard.
- Parking is not permitted overnight on Village streets from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. If you do park on the street overnight, your car may be ticketed. Exceptions can be made for special circumstances by contacting the Police Department at 630-469-1187.
- Village Code limits parking on Village streets to 5 hours maximum between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. except Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays (unless otherwise posted)
- No parking is allowed on Village streets after two or more inches of snow has fallen, until the streets have been plowed
For additional Glen Ellyn parking regulations, please visit the Village Code Online.