Frida Kahlo Timeless Exhibit: Experiences in Glen Ellyn
About the Frida Kahlo Timeless Exhibit
The Cleve Carney Museum of Art and the McAninch Arts Center at the College of DuPage (425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, Ill.) will host one of the largest private collections of original artworks by Frida Kahlo in a multifaceted exhibition entitled Frida Kahlo: Timeless. The exhibition, on view June 5 – September 12, 2021, will be the most comprehensive presentation of Kahlo’s work displayed in the Chicago area in over 40 years. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit frida2021.org or call 630.642.4000
Experience Everything Frida This Summer In Glen Ellyn
Murals and Community Artwork
Downtown Glen Ellyn Walking Tour
Experience all things Frida by strolling the streets of downtown Glen Ellyn. Use the walking tour map to find outdoor murals, interactive wall art and the 12 Frida themed painted flower pots.
For a full view of the walking tour map, visit HERE.
Outdoor Frida Kahlo Mural
The Frida Kahlo mural was designed by Glen Ellyn’s own Geoff Bevington, a Mexican American 2nd generation muralist. The mural was painted primarily by Bevington with some assistance by other artists and local residents, including children. The 14-foot-high and 28-foot-wide mural graces the wall of Olive ‘n Vinnie’s, located at 449 N. Main Street, just south of the Prairie Path.
Interactive Wall Art (#FridaInGE)
Frida interactive wall art is up around downtown Glen Ellyn in 5 locations:
Frida Candy Mural
The Glen Ellyn Sweet Shoppe, located at 550 Crescent Boulevard, created "Life Will Be Sweet”, a mural entirely out of candy.
The candies include: Goetze Chocolate Bulleyes, Albanese Hugs and Kisses Gummies, Haribo Black Raspberries, Haribo Gold Bears, an assortment of Jelly Belly jelly beans, Jelly Belly Licorice Party Mix, Zachary Spearmint Leaves, Zachary Giant Gumdrops, Madelaine Chocolate leaves, Sweet Maple Candy Flowers, Sweet Maple Candy Hearts, Gustaf Licorice Laces and Chick-O-Sticks.
The candy mural will be on display in the Sweet Shoppe window throughout the Frida Kahlo Timeless Exhibit.
Frida Mural & Inspirational Quote
Visit inside Chocolaterie Stam Glen Ellyn, 530 Pennsylvania Avenue, for a Frida inspired mural.
Indoor Community Mural
A community mural, painted at the Frida Fest kickoff event at the McAninch Arts Center at College of DuPage, is on display in the Internet Lab on the 2nd floor of the Glen Ellyn Public Library, 400 Duane Street.
Located at 526 N. Main Street
Frida Inspired Cutouts and Wall of Inspiration
The Glen Ellyn Historical Society, 800 Main Street, is home to a Frida Selfie Garden inside the History Center where you can take photos of yourself with Frida-inspired cutouts. The History Center also has a Frida Garden of Inspirational Thoughts where you can add your own messages about how Frida inspires you. Self-guided tours of Glen Ellyn are also available.
Frida Inspired Mural: Santa Fe Restaurant
Audrey Pauer, Lake Forest College art student and Glenbard West graduate, painted this Frida inspired mural outside of the Santa Fe Restaurant located at 426 N. Main Street.
Festive Flowers Line the Streets
Community Flower Pots
Bottle & Bottega, The Village of Glen Ellyn Public Works Department and the Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce partnered together to paint 12 Frida themed flower pots, now on display in downtown Glen Ellyn.
The Glen Ellyn Public Works Department has worked closely with Ball Horticulture on the types and arrangements of flowers that are displayed in the flower pots. The flowers displayed in downtown Glen Ellyn reflect the Frida Kahlo inspired garden incorporated into the the Frida Kahlo Timeless Exhibit.
Shop for Frida Inspired Gifts
Find all your souvenirs and gifts in Glen Ellyn at locations including:
- Gather and Collect, 473 N. Main Street. http://www.gatherandcollect.com/
- The Bookstore of Glen Ellyn, 475 N. Main Street https://bookstoreofge.com/
- Olive 'n Vinnie's, 449 N. Main Street https://oliveandvinnies.com/
- M & Em's Children's & Home Boutique, 460 N. Main Street https://mandems.com/
- The Beer Cellar, 488 Crescent Avenue https://beercellarchicago.com/
- Re:New Project, 483 North Main Street https://www.renewproject.org/
- Chocolaterie Stam, 530 Pennsylvania Avenue https://www.glenellynchocolate.com/
- The Glen Ellyn Sweet Shoppe, 550 Crescent Boulevard https://glenellynsweetshoppe.com/index.html
Custom Menus and Cocktails
A number of Glen Ellyn restaurants and bistros will be hosting Frida specialty menus and cocktails, including:
- Santa Fe Restaurant, 426 N. Main Street, A Frida Flight of Tequila along with a traditional Mexican menu. https://santaferestaurant.net/
- Nobel House, 419 N. Main Street, Braised pork tacos and Hibiscus & Citrus Mint Margaritas. https://www.nobelhouserestaurants.com/
- Two Hound Red Brewing Company, 486 Pennsylvania Avenue, A specialty brew, “Dia De Los Muertos” a Mexican style dark lager. Plus, a pre-fixed Frida Friday specialty themed menu. https://2houndred.com/
- Common Good Cocktail House, 560 Crescent Blvd, Featuring cocktails with an emphasis on lush vegetal and floral garnish and elements inspired by Frida Kahlo. https://www.commongoodcocktailhouse.com/
- Reserve 22 Restaurant, 485 Winchell Way, Featuring "Frida's Tacos" corn tortillas, roasted peppers, squash, tomatillo salsa, cotija cheese, scallions and shredded cabbage. https://www.reserve22.com/
- ko-ze Wine Room, 484 N. Main Street, Frida inspired wine(s) by the glass. https://www.kozewine.com/
- Marché, 496 N Main Street, "Frida Sangria": an infusion of red wine with Reposado Tequila, Orange Liqueur and a twist of citrus plus Frida-inspired spirits available for sale by the bottle. www.marche496.com
- The Beer Cellar, 488 Crescent Blvd., is showcasing a Frida Tap Handle all summer long, featuring a rotating selection of beers that celebrate Frida’s heritage. https://beercellarchicago.com/
Designated Ride Sharing Locations
Designated UBER ride sharing pick-up and drop-off locations are available in the following locations:
- Downtown Glen Ellyn Metra Stop North Platform - Glen Ellyn to Chicago (Departures)
- Downtown Glen Ellyn Metra Stop South Platform - Chicago to Glen Ellyn (Arrivals)
- Frida Kahlo: Timeless Exhibit - The Cleve Carney Museum of Art & McAninch Arts Center at College of DuPage
Please note that the distance between the Downtown Glen Ellyn Metra Stop and the Frida Kahlo: Timeless Exhibit is approximately 3 miles.
Metra: Visitors can ride the Union Pacific West Line (UP-W) to/from downtown Glen Ellyn. For information and schedules, please visit the Metra website.
Parking in Downtown Glen Ellyn
Civic Center Parking Garage: Public parking is available in the Civic Center Parking Garage, located behind 535 Duane Street in downtown Glen Ellyn. Free public parking is available throughout the garage on two floors with additional free public parking after 3 p.m. daily and on weekends.
Park by the Path: Visitors can also "Park by the Path" and utilize the six parking lots along the railroad tracks/Illinois Prairie Path for convenient parking in the downtown. Free public parking is available weekdays after 11 a.m. and all day on weekends, with no time restrictions. View the map here.
Frida Themed Experiences
Please contact for hours and if reservations are needed.
Find Frida Scavenger Hunt
Locate 20 Frida dolls in participating storefronts downtown. Validate your map to receive a prize. Downtown Glen Ellyn. https://downtownglenellyn.com/event-of-the-month/find-frida-scavenger-hunt/
Free "Frida" Movie at the Glen Art Theater
Catch the movie FRIDA for FREE at the Glen Art Theater downtown, every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. June through August. The movie stars Salma Hayek in an Academy Award–nominated portrayal of Frida Kahlo, Rated R. The Glen Art Theater, 540 Crescent Boulevard http://www.glenarttheatre.com/
Paint at Bottle & Bottega
Paint, sip wine and have fun painting a Frida inspired picture.
Bottle & Bottega, 498 Crescent Boulevard https://www.paintingwithatwist.com/studio/glen-ellyn
Frida Floral Bouquet or Head Piece at Green Branch
Walk-in and design to take home your own Frida Floral bouquet or sign-up for a hands on class for a Frida Bouquet or head piece.
Green Branch Florist, 485 N Main Street, Call: (630) 858-7440 View the Hands-On Design Class Schedule
Frida Themed Cooking Class at Marcel's
Register For a Frida themed cooking class or grab Frida inspired kitchen or gourmet food items. Marcel’s Culinary Experience, 490 N Main Street https://www.marcelsculinaryexperience.com/
Frida Cocktail Tutorial at Common Good
Take an instructional tutorial and taste a specialty Frida Cocktail, from the professionals. Common Good Cocktail House, 560 Crescent Boulevard https://www.commongoodcocktailhouse.com/#events
Group Sales and Charter Buses
Possible example itinerary for group:
- 10 a.m. - Attend Frida Kahlo Timeless – Group Sales contact Kat Kazmierski, firstname.lastname@example.org, 630-942-3026
- 12:30 p.m. – Lunch Reservations at Reserve 22. Group Sales Contact Aimee Detterbeck, email@example.com, 630-469-5550 x223
- 2 p.m. – Stroll through quaint downtown Glen Ellyn to view the Frida murals and flowers, shop and for Frida inspired gifts or sign up for one of the many classes available for groups. Bus parking available.
For additional info contact Dawn Smith, Glen Ellyn Chamber, 630-469-0907, DawnSmith@GlenEllynChamber.com