Food & Beverage Registration

The Glen Ellyn Food and Beverage ordinance establishes a one and one-half percent (1.5%) tax on food and beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) for immediate consumption and on packaged liquor at retail.

The purpose of this tax is to help fund several capital projects including a parking garage, downtown street and streetscape, train station improvements, Roosevelt Road access improvements, and Civic Center improvements.  The tax sunsets after bonds related to the projects are paid off.

This tax applies to businesses that make retail sales of food and beverages prepared for immediate consumption on and/or off the premises of prepared food facilities and includes drive through and carry-out sales. Every owner and operator of any prepared food facility must register as a retailer before opening a business.

Submission requirements, additional information and forms can be found here.

Liquor License

The Village of Glen Ellyn requires businesses to apply for and receive approval from the Village Board in order to sell or serve liquor at their establishments (or at special event). For more information on liquor license classifications, requirements and fees, please contact the Village Administration Dept. and consult the Village Code.

Liquor License Application

Outdoor Seating License

The Village offers an annual license for restaurants that wish to provide outdoor seating for patrons. Outdoor seating on the public sidewalk or public property requires approval of the Outdoor Sidewalk Cafe Application to Allow Tables and Chairs in the Public Right of Way Fillable (PDF).

Outdoor seating is allowed on private property with certain restrictions (Section 10-5-15 of Zoning Code).

  1. Glen Ellyn Illinois Homepage

Contact Us

  1. Economic Development

  2. 535 Duane Street

  3. Second Floor

  4. Glen Ellyn, IL 60137

  5. Phone: 630-547-5345

  6. Directory

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow