The Village of Glen Ellyn is planning and preparing for complications which may arise locally from the spread of COVID-19. This includes continued coordination with other local and state agencies including the Illinois Department of Public Health, DuPage County Health Department and the DuPage County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (DCOHSEM).
The Village of Glen Ellyn is located within DuPage County, which has not yet experienced a localized case of COVID-19. However, health experts have advised municipal level preparation for this scenario and requested assistance with mitigating the effects of the Coronavirus.
The Village strongly encourages anyone who suspects they may have the coronavirus or have been in exposed to the virus to contact a medical professional immediately.
As part of our ongoing emergency preparedness efforts, the Village’s public safety departments have taken stock of personal protective equipment for emergency responders, to ensure the uninterrupted delivery of services.
As of March 13, 2020, Village facilities including the Civic Center and the Police Department will remain open and operational during regular business hours. The Fire Stations and Public Works facilities will continue operations, but will be closed to non-essential personnel. It is the Village’s highest priority to continue to provide core service to our residents and businesses, including police, fire and emergency services.
After thoughtful consideration of the guidelines provided by public health officials, the Village is taking the following preventatives measures to help in protecting the community we serve and our employees:
- All meeting room reservations within the Village’s Civic Center, including the gymnasium, will be temporarily suspended as of Monday, March 16, 2020 through the end of April 2020, unless further notified. Early voting for the primary election will continue on the second floor of the Civic Center through this Saturday, March 14.
- The Police Station Community Room will no longer be open for public rental effective immediately and continuing through the end of April 2020.
- To help keep Village employees and visitors healthy, please consider limiting in-person visits to the Civic Center. In lieu of visitation, please call Village offices at 630-469-5000. Staff can help you conduct business over the phone or online, including making payments.
- The Village Board Workshop meeting scheduled for Monday, March 16 has been cancelled. Additionally, all Advisory Board & Commission meetings for the Village have been cancelled through the end of March.
- The Village’s Senior Center will remain open with limited access to the public, and has temporarily suspended classes and organized group sessions. Residents may contact the Senior Center at 630-858-6343.
Village staff, which includes emergency responders, will continue to monitor various sources for mitigation practices regarding COVID-19 and will take appropriate steps as necessary to continue to provide service to our residents.
We ask that the community keep in mind those that are most vulnerable, including the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. Continue to show compassion, empathy and humility to those in our community. As the Village of Volunteers, we know that residents of Glen Ellyn will look after one another during this time.
The Village will continue to share updates and information on our website at www.glenellyn.org and through our social media channels including Facebook (@VillageofGlenEllyn) and Twitter (@VillageofGE). Additional information may be sent through the Village’s e-newsletter mailing list. If you are not already signed up, please take a moment to sign up here. Residents can also sign-up for the Village’s emergency alerting system that could be used should circumstances warrant. To sign up to receive alerts via email or text, visit here.
For additional information including an understanding of coronavirus, how to protect yourself, FAQs and ways to get more information, visit the Village’s website.