The Village of Glen Ellyn is planning and preparing for complications which may arise locally from the spread of COVID-19. This includes continued coordination with other local and state agencies including the Illinois Department of Public Health, DuPage County Health Department and the DuPage County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (DCOHSEM).
Health experts have advised municipal level preparation and requested assistance with mitigating the effects of the Coronavirus.
The Village strongly encourages anyone who suspects they may have the coronavirus or have been in exposed to the virus to contact a medical professional immediately.
Tuesday, March 17 Update:
- While Village facilities, including the Civic Center, Public Works and both Fire Stations are closed to the public, we want to remind residents and businesses that all Village departments remain available via email or phone. For a full listing of alternate ways of doing business with the Village, please visit HERE.
- The Village is adhering to State restrictions prohibiting indoor dining at local restaurants. This is a crucial time for our small business owners, especially restaurants. Many of our local businesses are participating in the Glen Ellyn Dine at Home program, with options of curbside pick-up and delivery. For a list of local restaurants, including links to online menus, hours, and delivery and carry-out offerings, please visit the Chamber of Commerce website.
- Beginning today, parking meters in the central business district are covered, offering free parking in the downtown area. Additionally, the Village continues to work collaboratively with the Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce, the Alliance of Downtown Glen Ellyn and individual businesses within Glen Ellyn to offer guidance, support and resources.
- As a reminder, the Glen Ellyn Village Board will hold a Special Emergency Village Board meeting tonight at 7 p.m. to discuss emergency procedures in regards to COVID-19. Due to safety concerns, this meeting is not open to the public, but can be live-streamed on the Village’s website and will be televised on WideOpenWest Channel 6, AT&T Channel 99 and Comcast Cable Services Channel 10. All questions and comments emailed to the Village Clerk prior to the audience participation portion of the agenda will be read into the official record. Please email your questions and comments to the Village Clerk directly at email@example.com.
Monday, March 16 Update:
The Village of Glen Ellyn takes seriously the advice of public health experts. In response to the evolving situation, the Village is currently taking several proactive and precautionary steps to help prevent the spread of the virus in our community. We ask for your continued help and assistance in mitigating the effects of COVID-19.
- In an effort to reduce the exposure of both the public and our staff to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Village is taking the precautionary step to close the Civic Center (535 Duane Street) to the public beginning the morning of Tuesday, March 17. The Public Works facility (30 S. Lambert Road), and Fire Stations (524 Pennsylvania Avenue and 681 Taft Avenue) continue to remain closed to all non-essential personnel. It’s important to note that access to the Police Department (65 S. Park Boulevard) will continue. Though the listed facilities above are closed to in-person visits, please know that the Village continues to provide essential services including police, fire and public works. At this time, all Village departments remain available via email or phone. For a listing of alternate ways to do business with the Village, please visit HERE.
- On Tuesday, March 17 at 7 p.m., the Glen Ellyn Village Board will hold a Special Emergency Village Board meeting to discuss emergency procedures in regards to COVID-19. Due to safety concerns, this meeting is not open to the public, but can be live-streamed on the Village’s website and will be televised on WideOpenWest Channel 6, AT&T Channel 99 and Comcast Cable Services Channel 10. All questions and comments emailed to the Village Clerk prior to the audience participation portion of the agenda will be read into the official record. Please email your questions and comments to the Village Clerk directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Village will be adhering to Governor Pritzker’s restrictions limiting restaurants to take-out or drive-thru service, only. This restriction starts at the close of business Monday, March 16 and runs through March 30, based on information provided by Governor Pritzker at the press conference held on Sunday, March 15.
- Residents are strongly encouraged to practice social distancing measures, such as working from home when it’s an option, staying home as much as possible, and trying to avoid public transportation or other places where the public is within close contact to one another. These actions will help reduce the number of people who become sick.
- The Village’s guidelines and information are likely to be interim and fluid, subject to change as we learn more. We are moving quickly to learn as much as possible and working with many local and state partners to do so. We will continue to update residents as new information becomes available. An update will be posted daily to the Village’s website at www.glenellyn.org/covid
- It is important to stay connected with the Village during this time. We will continue to share updates and information on our website at www.glenellyn.org/covid and through our social media channels including Facebook (@VillageofGlenEllyn) and Twitter (@VillageofGE). Additional information may be sent through the Village’s e-newsletter mailing list. If you are not already signed up, please take a moment to sign up here. Residents can also sign-up for the Village’s emergency alerting system that could be used should circumstances warrant. To sign up to receive alerts via email or text, visit here. For those without internet access, updates can be heard on the Village’s information radio station, AM 1620 KHz.
For additional information including an understanding of coronavirus, how to protect yourself, FAQs and ways to get more information, visit the Village’s website.