The Village of Glen Ellyn is planning and preparing for complications which may arise locally from the spread of COVID-19. This includes continued coordination with other local and state agencies including the Illinois Department of Public Health, DuPage County Health Department and the DuPage County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (DCOHSEM).
Health experts have advised municipal level preparation and requested assistance with mitigating the effects of the Coronavirus.
The Village strongly encourages anyone who suspects they may have the coronavirus or have been in exposed to the virus to contact a medical professional immediately.
Sunday, March 22 Update:
- The Village has been adjusting its operations in response to the COVID-19 health emergency for several weeks, even prior to the Governor’s stay-at-home order. We want to reassure residents and businesses that Glen Ellyn’s police, fire, EMS, water and sewer systems maintenance, wastewater plant operations and other critical public services are continuing. The Civic Center, the Public Works facility and both Fire Stations remain closed to the public, but operational. Village staff continues to be available via email and phone to answer questions and process transactions. We ask you for your patience as we continue to serve the community through this crisis.
- The next regularly scheduled Village Board meeting will be held on Monday, March 23 at 7 p.m. On March 16, 2020, Governor Pritzker issued Executive Order No. 5 in response to COVID-19, which temporary suspended certain requirements of the Open Meetings Act ILCS 120. Due to health safety concerns, the March 23 Board meeting is not open to the public. All public comment submitted prior to the audience participation portion of the agenda will be read into the official record. Please complete the public comment form, which can be found on the Village’s website. These temporary meeting procedures will be eliminated once the emergency declaration is lifted. To view the agenda for the Monday, March 23 Village Board meeting, visit here.
- The Village’s waste hauler, Groot, will continue with the regularly scheduled refuse and recycling collection tomorrow, Monday, March 23. However, Groot is suspending all bulky item/construction debris collection and all white good/e-waste collection until further notice.
- Volunteers are needed across the state. Nonprofit organizations are looking for extra help as many of their regular volunteers are unable to assist or are choosing to stay home. In particular, organizations with a mission focused on housing/homelessness, food security/hunger/meal delivery and seniors are experiencing a large decrease in their regular volunteer base. If you are an able-bodied volunteer and are willing to volunteer, please explore the following:
- Visit DuPage County’s Volunteer Portal, Giving DuPage, that links volunteers with non-profit organizations countywide. Learn more at https://givingdupage.org/
- Consider registering on the Serve Illinois website and the organization will connect you with opportunities based on their needs. Learn more at www.serve.illinois.gov
- As this situation has evolved, the American Red Cross has seen blood drives cancelled across the country, when tragically, a blood shortage would only worsen the health care crisis we are facing right now. The state is encouraging healthy, eligible individuals to donate blood. To find a blood drive or volunteer, visit: www.RedCross.org
To read prior daily updates and to get more information, visit the Village’s dedicated Coronavirus webpage.