As concerns about coronavirus continue to grip our nation, our highest priority is the health and well-being of our residents, employees, and first responders. We are all in this together, and the Village of Glen Ellyn and Glen Ellyn Park District, along with other public agencies, will continue to collaborate in order to provide responsible and valued services during this unprecedented time. In doing so, we implore our community to adhere to the Governor’s stay-at-home order and follow guidelines from the CDC, including social distancing.
We recognize that staying at home is challenging. While many of our community members are doing their part to flatten the curve and help save lives, others are disregarding the Governor’s Executive Order and the CDC guidelines, including ignoring playground closure signs, continuing to congregate in groups in neighborhoods, and gathering for outdoor sports and recreational activities. At this time, one’s personal enjoyment must take a back seat to public
safety and the wellness of all.
We believe that the many parks, trails, and open spaces can continue to be used in a safe manner that allows people to enjoy the mental and physical health benefits these spaces provide. However, it is not acceptable to be in large groups.
The Glen Ellyn Police Department and the Glen Ellyn Park District are working cooperatively together on enforcement, including dispersing groups using the playgrounds or athletic fields. The Glen Ellyn Police Department will closely monitor these areas and we ask for your voluntary compliance. It is challenging for the Police Department to enforce these matters effectively throughout the community without your help. Please make this sacrifice for the betterment of all.
Here’s How You Can Help:
- Refrain from using parks/trails if you or someone in your household are exhibiting symptoms such as a dry cough or fever.
- Follow CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to, during, and after the use of parks or trails.
- Pack disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizers.
- Warn other visitors of your presence as you pass on trails/paths and step aside to let others pass.
- Avoid congregating in neighborhoods and parks. Do not gather in groups including pick-up sports and picnicking.
- Always observe the CDC’s minimum recommended social distancing of 6 feet from other individuals. If this is not possible, find an alternate location or park.
- Emphasize the importance of social distancing with your children and help them find other ways to connect with friends. Stress the importance of being responsible and respectful of others.
We hope to continue providing safe opportunities for the community to get outside and enjoy fresh air, but if forced to do so, further steps may need to be taken in order to protect the public from the spread of COVID-19.
Together, the Park District and the Village are committed to remaining diligent and intentional in our decision-making process, and we will continue to monitor and act on recommendations from our federal, state and regional public health partners. We appreciate your commitment to these principals, as we are all in this together.
Mark Franz, Village Manager, Village of Glen Ellyn
Dave Harris, Executive Director, Glen Ellyn Park District